Sunday, May 06, 2018

{Spotlight Project} Sugar Rush Pop-up Card by MariLynn

[Note: This month, we have several STAMPlorations girls guest designing and joining the regular Spotlight Project girls and sharing more awesome step-by-step projects that feature our 5x7 stamp club sets. We hope you get even more inspired!]



I have a fun interactive card to show for my Spotlight Project.
I am sharing a pop up card. It sounds difficult, but I have a couple of videos and hopefully that will help you see how easy it is to make.

Cut one (4.25"x 5.5") of designer paper. I used one that had sweets on it.



Cut one (4.25"x 11") white cardstock.



Cut one (3.5"x 10") white cardstock.



Cut one (3.5"x 8") white cardstock.



Cut 4 (2.25"x 3.25) pieces of white cardstock



So for the base of the card. Fold the 4.25"x 11" piece of white cardstock in half and adhere 4.25"x 5.5" of decorative paper on top.



I used the donuts, and two ice cream images from the Sugar Rush set.



I stamped the images using black stazon ink. I colored them with colored pencils.



The colored pencils alone looked good, but I wanted to add just a little extra to my card. So I pulled out an embossing pen. I just colored over the place where the donuts were "glazed".



Then I sprinkled Ultra Thick Embossing Powder on the image.



This looks so yummy I will have to think of something for a future project that looks like sugar on these donuts. 



Then I took a heat gun and melted the Ultra thick embossing powder. Can you see the "glaze" in this next photo?





Now the fun part starts making the pop up part of the card.
I took the 3.5" x 10" piece of cardstock. I scored it at 2.5"



And again at 5"



And again at 7.5".



When you fold on the score lines it looks like a "w" or an "m" depending on how you hold it.



First video time. In the video I show adhering the 4 stamped and colored panels to the pop up. (Well, I glued the first 3 down before I started the video)




Now to make the mechanism that the pop up attaches to.
I took the 3.5" x 8" piece of white cardstock and I scored down the long side at 1.75""



Then I took a pencil and marked the cardstock at 2.25" and again at 5.75"
I did this above and below the scored line.



I scored diagonally between the marks.



Time for second video. This shows how I folded the pop up mechanism.

 


The third video showS how I attached the pop up mechanism to the base of the card. (I put glue- when my the glue actually came out- on the triangle parts front and back and placed it below the center fold on the inside of the card.)

 


Once the pop up mechanism is attached to the inside of the card I marked on the bottom left hand corner 1.5" inches in.



I also marked the mechanism on the top right hand corner 1.5" in.



I penciled lightly an x from the corners to the 1.5" marks on the bottom left corner and the top right corner. That is the only place that I put glue to adhere the pop ups.



Time for fourth video. This video shows how to adhere the pop ups to the mechanism. I started by putting glue on top right hand corner of mechanism and I matched it up with the top corner of the pop up, behind the waffle bowl of ice cream. Then I put glue on the bottom left hand corner of mechanism and I matched it up with the bottom corner of the pop up, behind the ice cream sundae. 



The last video shows how the finished card looks. When making these pop up cards I have found that the first couple of times you try to fold them up they might be a little stiff. But the more times you open and shut them the easier they move. 


9 comments:

  1. I love this fold, I have done it a couple of times now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super video and instructions - lovely card - TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I hope you will give it a try sometime.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful card MariLynn, and thanks for the detailed tutorial - I must give it a go
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will give it a try. I think they are so fun to do. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Great idea, have you posted a picture of the completed card?

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)