Thursday, September 11, 2014

{Spotlight Project} Shery Creates a Mixed Media Layout

Don't forget to join in on our stamp release blog hop fun
after watching Shery's short video tutorial :o)


I adore my niece, Alexa. I've got thousands of photos of her in a portable hard drive...and her photos are all that's in that hard drive ;o) And so here I am sharing a 12" by 12" mixed media layout where she's the star. (I made one a couple of weeks ago and you'll find it here.) The Adorable One will be turning 3 next month, but for this project, I printed out a photo of her that was taken when she was 5 1/2 months old.





Ingredients:

Stamps: Subway Art Builders: DareBloom Sketches
Papers: Pink Paislee (Portfolio, Hey Kid), Basic Grey (Capture Snippets)
Mediums: Liquitex White Gesso, VersaMagic chalk inks (Aegean Blue, Mango Madness, Sahara Sand), Faber-Castell Gelatos (Mango, Lemon, Cotton Candy, Blueberry), Spectrum Noir alcohol marker (True Black)
Embellishments: SRM Stickers (We've Got Your Border/BrightWe've Got Your Sticker/Princess)
Other supplies: drywall tape, foam tape, double-sided tape

Below is a video tutorial for this mixed media layout. It took me about an hour from start to finish, but the video is only 6 minutes and 45 seconds long -- it's in fast-forward motion, captioned, and accompanied by Mozart. Hope you enjoy it!


This layout was a fun one to make, and I was winging it the whole time because I didn't really know what the layout was going to look like. I had my gesso, papers, photo, stickers, Gelatos, markers, and stamps out so I simply went with the flow and had fun, thinking of my niece the whole time and smiling as I put this layout together.


I did the background by applying gesso on the areas where I was going to place my elements. Then I scribbled some Gelatos and sprayed with water to blend the colors. Next I stamped the sentiments and daisy in chalk inks, picking colors that are light or almost blended with the background. For the clusters, I picked coordinating papers, added drywall tape for texture, doodled on the papers, and used stickers.



Thanks so much for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed the video and that it gave you some ideas for scrapping your photos! See you in a couple of weeks :o)


stmp1061.jpeg   stmp1048.jpeg

2 comments:

  1. Wow., love the textures and rich colors, Shery! I love how you positioned the sentiment on the block and layered pattern paper, genius use of SRM stickers..AWESOME layout indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty S, you are showcasing The Adorable One with incredible style, flair, pizzazz and panache with this layout, and your previous one! The background elements and design are perfect for the photos you've chosen; you make abundantly clear she's the 'star' of the show (and likely of your life, too!!). Awesome!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)